Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Musings of a Seminary Wife: I wouldn't have it any other way...

 
   We went to a friend's house for dinner last night. They are a seminary couple too, and we really like them. But I digress.

      After dinner we entered into a more thought-provoking discussion about why our culture does not grieve or mourn very well. We all shared different thoughts, and several times during the conversation one of the guys said, "Well, in my Ref. and Mod. class we discussed..." or "..in my Old Testament class we learned.." And it hit me in a big way, so much so that I thought I might start crying, which would be ironic considering that our conversation during dinner had been about the wives' increased comfort level in crying in front of their spouses.

    As I sat and listened to these two men talk about what they're learning in their classes, and apply it in such a real way to life, I was struck by the realization that if Spencer decided he wanted to drop out of seminary and pursue an average career, I would be sad. I felt convicted that I spend more time lamenting the fact that we still have 3 more years until we're done than I do praising Jesus for the chance for us as a couple to be shaped by Covenant Seminary. I spend more time wishing that I was a SAHM with a beautiful baby than I do thanking God for the chance that Spencer gets to be a student for 4 years and sit under such wise and Godly men. I spend more time wishing away my days of working a full-time job rather than being grateful that I have the means and opportunity to support us in the professional world. Despite all the time I spend "wishing" things were different, I would truly be sorrowful if this precious season was over.

     We are learning so much about ministry, work, and marriage. We are learning what it means to practice community in the midst of a busy busy life. We are learning what hard, slow work it is to build relationships and grow friendships. We have much yet to learn, and harder seasons ahead. But we are learning again and again that the Lord provides, and that He has a beautiful plan for us even though we can't see around the bend. Yes, our future hopes may have to wait. But all of this is so worth it, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

1 comment:

  1. Awwwh what a tender mercy of God to open your eyes to the blessings of this season of life and causing you to not pine it away for the future but being filled with gratitude. Thankful to God for this new insight and peace about your present calling that He has given you. Anticipating starting a new job next week I am sure helps with perspective too! Ha ha! XOXO :)

    ReplyDelete