Wednesday, June 18, 2014

From the kitchen: Applesauce Muffins

A love that has developed in our 2 years of marriage is cooking! I LOVE to cook. I love trying new (and old) recipes, and making my dollar stretch at the grocery store, as I discussed in this post. So, I figured, why not share some of our favorite recipes. It's good practice for my food photography, which is quite limited. And, it forces me to archive some of the recipes that I refer to from websites or my pinterest board.

Early on in our marriage, Spencer developed a "rating system" that would make judging new recipes more fun and less...discouraging for me when it doesn't turn out so great. Here's the rating scale:
1-5: Probably don't make again
6-7: Make again but not when we have company
8-10: Definitely make again, and make it when we have guests!

Whenever I make a new recipe, at the end of the meal I ask, "What's the rating?!" And based on that, I decide if I should save it to make again or not. Trust me, after spending an hour (or more) in the kitchen making a meal, it's way better to hear, "It's a 6.5." than "This wasn't that great, but you could make it again just for us if you want."

So as I share recipes, I'll give y'all OUR rating, and you can see if you think the same!!

This particular recipe has been in the family for a long time. It's Spencer's mom's recipe, but my mom has made these since we were little. Spencer had been requesting these, so I finally made them this past weekend with WHITE flour. Gasp! I've slowly transitioned back to white flour for some baked goods. They're just simply not as good with wheat, even white whole wheat.

Okay, here's the recipe:

Julie's Applesauce Muffins:

1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 c .applesauce
3 t. cinnamon
2 t. ground cloves
2 t. all-spice
2 t. baking soda
4 c. flour

Mix the butter, sugar, eggs, and applesauce together. In a seperate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients. And if you're really patient, you can sift them all together. I don't have a real sifter, and I get way too bored. So I just make sure the spices are mixed in well.

Dump the dry ingredients into the butter mixture, blend, and spoon into muffin tins.

Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from centers.

Then, sprinkle with powdered sugar (or dip the entire thing in the powdered sugar bowl. Not saying that I would do that but you could). 

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment