Saturday, June 14, 2014

Musings of a seminary wife: Speaking Sweetly

I've been reminded this past week the importance of words.
They have a great impact. With every sunrise, you have the opportunity to make or break someone's day through your words.

Proverbs 16:23-24 says the following:
"The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent, and their lips promote instruction.
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."

Let that sink in a bit.

The hearts of the wise make their mouths prudent. My words are a reflection of my heart. When I speak harshly to someone, or speak slander about them, that is a reflection of my black, sinful heart. It is a reflection of bitterness, anger, hurt.

But there's an opposite to that. When words are spoken in love, they are like honey. Think about how much better your toast tastes when there's honey on it. It is the same with your speech. I spend a great deal of my workday on the phone, and when someone speaks gently and patiently to me it makes my whole morning go better. But when a customer speaks condescendingly, impatiently, and angrily, it makes me feel like a loser, and it can set a discouraging tone for the rest of my day.

Coating words with honey is often an act of service and obedience to Christ. When spoken harshly to by someone, it is not my first instinct to respond with respect and love. But we must. Because Christ did.

He was questioned condescendingly by the Pharisees. He was betrayed by his own disciple. He was yelled at by the masses. Scoffed at by doubting people.

Do you think you would want to respond in loving words? And not only that, but do you think you would want to die for the sake of those people? I certainly wouldn't.

But I've realized....every day I can choose live as Christ by extending love to those who hurt me. Every day I can offer a healing balm through words of honey. Every day, I can demonstrate hope by words of truth and encouragement. I want to be that for people. Christ has called us to be that for people.

Speak selflessly, with love,  to your spouse, your family, your friends, your coworkers, and strangers.
Will you join me in the quest for speaking sweetly?

1 comment: